Dating can be exhausting for many reasons. Here are some of the possible causes and effects of dating fatigue:
- High expectations: Some people may have unrealistic or idealized expectations of what they want in a partner, how they should act on a date, or what the outcome of a date should be. This can lead to disappointment, frustration, and resentment when reality does not match their expectations. High expectations can also put pressure on both parties to perform well, which can create anxiety and stress.
- Low compatibility: Some people may have difficulty finding someone who shares their values, interests, goals, and personality. This can result in a lot of wasted time, energy, and money on dates that go nowhere or end badly. Low compatibility can also cause boredom, dissatisfaction, and conflict in a relationship.
- Online dating: Some people may rely on online dating platforms or apps to find potential partners. While online dating can offer convenience, variety, and opportunity, it can also pose some challenges. Online dating can create a paradox of choice, where having too many options can make it harder to choose or commit to one person. Online dating can also increase the risk of deception, catfishing, ghosting, or scamming.
- Burnout: Some people may experience physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion from dating too much or too often. Dating can be draining, especially if it involves multiple people, venues, activities, and conversations. Burnout can affect a person’s health, well-being, and performance in other areas of life.
These are some of the possible reasons why dating can be exhausting. However, dating can also be fun, rewarding, and fulfilling if done in a healthy and balanced way. Some tips to avoid or overcome dating fatigue are:
- Be realistic: Some people may need to adjust their expectations and standards to match their reality and preferences. Being realistic does not mean settling for less, but rather being open-minded, flexible, and adaptable to different situations and people.
- Be selective: Some people may need to be more selective and discerning about who they date and how they date. Being selective means choosing quality over quantity, focusing on compatibility over appearance, and prioritizing one’s needs and wants over others’ opinions.
- Be safe: Some people may need to be more careful and cautious about online dating. Being safe means verifying the identity and credibility of potential partners, setting boundaries and limits, communicating clearly and honestly, and protecting one’s privacy and security.
- Be mindful: Some people may need to be more mindful and aware of their own feelings and needs when dating. Being mindful means paying attention to one’s emotions, thoughts, and sensations, acknowledging one’s strengths and weaknesses, and taking care of one’s health and happiness.
Dating can be exhausting for many reasons. However, it can also be enjoyable and satisfying if done in a smart and healthy way.
Photo by Liza Summer: https://www.pexels.com/photo/melancholic-black-female-sitting-on-windowsill-6382594/